Here are some Positives and Negatives of having a cast, a.k.a. the use of only one arm
(+ = positive, – = negative):
– A cast in 90* weather ain’t fun because you can’t scratch inside [and no, I didn’t resort to knitting needles].
–> + People help you when they see a cast.
– Your fingers, etc. get swollen if/when they are not elevated.
–> + You acquire a new appreciation for ice.
– Opening things is a serious challenge.
–> + You start thinking of new inventions.
– Typing is hard and takes a long time.
–> + Thank goodness for speech recognition software.
– Lifting things using your fingers is a no-no.
–> + With a cast, there is a broader surface to balance things on next to your body.
– There are a lot of things you now can’t do which gives you
–> + an appreciation for all the things you are usually able to do and used to take for granted.